Family law attorney, Lisa R. Zonder answers your questions about “mediated” divorce
Are you looking for an alternative to a traditional court divorce? As a Ventura County and Conejo Valley divorce attorney, a good deal of my practice is devoted to helping couples work through a “mediated” divorce.
Here is a brief overview of this means of alternative dispute resolution.
What are the key features of a mediated divorce?
A mediated divorce is:
- Controlled by the parties. You and your soon-to-be-former spouse retain control over your case and the settlement negotiations; you manage the time and the cost of your divorce.
- Presided over by a neutral “mediating attorney,” who guides the negotiations and helps the parties come to a fair and impartial resolution.
- Focused on compromise and problem-solving, with the goal of resolving your issues and closing your case.
- Private – negotiations are between you, your spouse and the mediator, not hashed out in open court.
- Flexible, allowing you and your spouse to have “consulting lawyers” present to offer legal advice during the negotiations, or time off to consult with specialists (e.g., a forensic accountant), as needed.
Is a mediated divorce right for me?
A mediated divorce might be right for you if:
- You both agree to sit down and work it out even if you don’t agree on all issues;
- You and your spouse are treating each other with respect, speaking to one another, and willing to negotiate;
- It will cost more to fight in court than to settle the financial issues at stake in your case;
- You need utmost in privacy given your profession or occupation and it would be best to keep your matters out of the public record;
- You and your spouse want to decide the terms of your divorce; you need a lawyer on a consulting basis to understand your legal rights to “check in” and to review a written agreement that memorializes those terms.
Contact Lisa R. Zonder to learn more now!
If you have questions about your options in a divorce proceeding, including about mediated divorce, and you would like to speak with a knowledgeable family law attorney and mediator, please call me.
View our Mediation Packages or call 805‑777‑7740